Now the ACS fully open access journals are part of the agreement between the Max Planck Society and the American Chemical Society. The article processing charges will be paid centrally by the MPS.
ACS Open Access Journals:
The journals will be added to the OA Gold List (list of journals with central APC payment) shortly.
JACS Au is now accepting submissions. The new open-access journal is a complementary journal to the society’s flagship Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS).
ACS will launch nine new ACS Au journals in 2021.
These journals have been added to our agreement with the American Chemical Society:
The Max Planck Society has established a new open access agreement with the American Chemical Society which covers open access publishing of all accepted articles by submitting corresponding Max Planck authors in ACS journals that offer a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY); under the agreement, the article processing charges will be paid centrally by the MPS.
The agreement also covers read access to the ACS “All Publications” Package and Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN).
To publish open access without having to pay Article Publication Charges (APCs), the following criteria must be met:
- The acceptance date of the article must be after Jan 1, 2019.
- The author must publish under the Max Planck affiliation which must also be stated in the published article.
- The author must be the submitting and corresponding author of the article.
- Authors must actually submit the article from their Max Planck e-mail address and be the one to communicate with ACS during the production process.
Please be advised that ACS uses the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) for their workflow. If you don’t have an account, the library can order OA for your article.
Each ACS journal has a specific policy on publishing preprints. Details of the respective prior publication policies are available at
Authors are allowed to deposit an initial draft of their manuscript in a preprint service such as ChemRxiv or arXiv prior to submission to the following journals:
- ACS Catalysis
- ACS Central Science
- ACS Nano
- ACS Photonics
- Inorganic Chemistry
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry A
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters
- Nano Letters
Prior publication is not allowed:
- Accounts of Chemical Research
- Chemical Reviews
- Journal of the American Chemical Society