Each ACS journal has a specific policy on publishing preprints. Details of the respective prior publication policies are available at
Authors are allowed to deposit an initial draft of their manuscript in a preprint service such as ChemRxiv or arXiv prior to submission to the following journals:
- ACS Catalysis
- ACS Central Science
- ACS Nano
- ACS Photonics
- Inorganic Chemistry
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry A
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters
- Nano Letters
Prior publication is not allowed:
- Accounts of Chemical Research
- Chemical Reviews
- Journal of the American Chemical Society
Now the Max Planck Society pays the article processing charges centrally for the following new gold open access journals by the Institute of Physics:
- Journal of Physics Communications
- Environmental Research Letters
Max Planck (corresponding) authors can already publish open access at no costs to themselves in the New Journal of Physics.
The publication charges for three further new open access titles from the “Journal of Physics“ series on the topics “Energy“, “Materials“ and “Photonics“ will be funded by the library. However, there are no publication fees for the first 50 articles in these journals.
Overview of gold open access journals by IOP: https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/questions/gold-open-access-journals/
The Max Planck Society established a new agreement with Institute of Physics Publishing (IOP) which includes access to IOP’s premium journal collection IOPScience extra as well as allowing authors to publish open access in 36 selected subscription journals under a free Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY). The publication charges will be directly and fully funded by the MPS.
In order to make use of the agreement, please make sure to meet the following conditions when publishing with IOP:
- The article has been accepted by one of the 36 selected IOP journals.
- A Max Planck author must be the corresponding author of the article.
- The author is affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and publishes under this affiliation.
- The acceptance date of the article is between Jan 1, 2018 and Dec 31, 2020.
- The article matches one of these types: article, special issue article, letter.
When submitting, a Max Planck email address should be used (if possible) and the Max Planck affiliation should be stated.
The Max Planck Society supports SciPost Physics Journals. SciPost is an open access platform being managed by researchers and completely free of charge for readers and authors. Preprint handling and circulation occurs through arXiv, it’s a so called „overlay journal“.
How to choose the right journal for your research?
A check list helps you to make sure you choose trusted journals for your research.