The Project DEAL has established a nationwide open access agreement with Springer Nature which allows authors to publish open access in nearly all Springer hybrid journals. The agreement also covers read access to all Springer journals.
The conditions are the following:
- The acceptance date of the article must be after January 1, 2020.
- The article has been accepted by an Open Choice eligible journal that offers a CC-BY license.
- A Max Planck author must be the submitting and corresponding author of the article.
- The author is affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and publishes under this affiliation.
- The article matches one of these types: Original Paper, Review Paper, Brief Communication, Editorial Notes, Book Reviews, Letters, Reports.
Open access publishing in SpringerOpen or BioMedCentral journals is still processed and centrally paid by the Max Planck Society.
The open access component within the Project DEAL for Nature fully open access journals (e.g. Nature Communications, Scientific Reports and npj Computational Materials) will start later this year. As of 1 August 2020 the costs will be directly and fully funded via DEAL. Until then the library meets the publication charges in these gold open access journals.
Projekt Deal and Springer Nature have signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The final contract will be concluded later this year.
Through the agreement, more than 13,000 articles by German scholars and scientists are expected to be published open access per year (included are 1900 subscription based journals and 600 OA gold journals, incl. Nature Communications und Scientific Reports – Nature branded subscription titles are excluded). The agreement also covers read access to all Springer Nature journals.
The Project DEAL has established a nationwide open access agreement with Wiley which allows authors to publish open access in nearly all Wiley fully open access and hybrid journals. The agreement covers the open access publishing of accepted articles by submitting corresponding authors affiliated with Max Planck.
The agreement also covers read access to all Wiley journals.
In order to make use of the agreement, the following criteria must be met:
- The acceptance date of the article must be after July 1, 2019.
- The author must publish under the Max Planck affiliation which must also be stated in the published article.
- The author must be the submitting and corresponding author of the article.
- “Primary research articles” and “reviews” are regarded as article types entitled for OA publications.
- Please select the CC-BY license to comply with the Berlin Declaration on Open Access and the guidelines of PlanS!
More information at:
The scientific council members and the President of the Max Planck Society have decided to discontinue their Elsevier subscription when the current agreement expires on December 31, 2018. With this move the Society affirmed its support of the national licensing framework Projekt DEAL.
From 2019 there will be no more access to current full texts of Elsevier journals. Articles with publication date 2018 and earlier will still be available.
To order articles, please use the MPG/SFX Citation Linker or the MPG SFX button, which is displayed on the Elsevier page for unlicensed articles or in Web of Science. You are also welcome to contact us directly if you have any questions or requests.